After just a week of dedicated half-marathon training and I can tell it’s already getting easier. The first step really, truly is the hardest.
Wednesday night called for cross training, so I took out my kid sister’s bike for a 7 mile spin. She’s headed to Spain in a couple weeks, so I’m babysitting the ‘ole 2-wheeler until she gets back. I’m already addicted to it. I’m already thinking about a triathalon. Maybe I’m a little ahead of myself. But, then again, maybe not. But, that 7 mile spin was great because I got some exercise in without pounding my joints and I explored some new trails to run.
Despite the fact I tried 4 miles earlier this week in 95+ degree weather, I’d say I had a successful training week. I got 4 1/4 (yep, gotta count that quarter mile!) in last night on the new trails I discovered via biking. The weather was perfect. Clouded sky, cool, low humidity. It started raining right as I hit our road on the way home. It was just – perfect. The best run to date. I felt good and I can tell I’m getting myself back into shape.
Check, check, check it out:
Pretty, right? And shaded. Unlike the rest of the power line trail. If you follow me on Instagram, you saw my picture from Tuesday night – sunny and wiiiiide freakin’ open.
All of this talk makes me wonder what you all listen to in order to stay motivated when you’re training. I haven’t updated my new phone with a ton of new music so I’ve had the same music on repeat since I’ve started training. I’ll show you what I’ve got, but only if you promise not to judge. My taste in music is trash (but, oh, so good!). Here’s what I’ve got:
- Roar (Katy Perry)
- Come & Get It (Selena Gomez)
- Cruise Remix (Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly)
- Wagon Wheel (Darius Rucker) – the lone country song
- We Can’t Stop (Miley Cyrus) – she be cray, but it’s a guilty pleasure
- My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Fall Out Boy) – their songs have the weirdest titles
- Everybody Talks (Neon Trees)
- Don’t You Worry Child (Swedish House Mafia)
- Hall of Fame (The Script ft. will.i.am)
- Radioactive (Imagine Dragons) – I loooove this song. The bass. Love.
- What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction) – the only song I like by them. Really.
- Party In the USA (Miley Cyrus)
- E.T. (Katy Perry ft. Kanye West)
- Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen) – I know, I’m laughing with you
- Mirrors (Justin Timberlake) – if you don’t like this song, you are dead to me
- Bang Bang (K’naan & Adam Levine)
- Feel This Moment (Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera) – she is a biatch, isn’t she!?
- Blurred Lines (Robin Thicke ft. T.I. & Pharrell) – song of the summer, yo
- Some Nights (Fun.)
- Beauty and a Beat (Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj) – this one is hard to admit to as well…
Normally, I’m a country-lovin’ kind of gal, but when I need to be motivated, I need trashy, up-tempo mus-aaac. What do ya got for me? I’m in need of some updates. It’s bad news when I lay down at night singing Miley Cyrus. It has to stop. I need new music. Helppp.