If you’re someone who enjoys adventurous eating, you need to try Foodie Penpals. Kim at Racing Bananas told me about it and before she had the explanation out of her mouth, I was signed up. It was so much fun! Later in the post you’ll find all of the details on how to get signed up!
I was partnered to send to Amy in Austin. Majority of what I sent to her was Wisconsin-made. Check out her blog to see what she had to think about her taste of the midwest!
I was partnered to receive from Kellie. Kellie works in the fashion industry in New York City. After my visit to the city last August (and loving every second!), I was immediately jealous of her cool job in the even cooler city.
Kellie knocked it out of the park – I had such a huge variety! I was super annoying and gave her little to no guidance. When asked if I prefered sweet, salty, or spicy, of course I said ALL OF THEM. Because, really, I do love them all.
First up, the Rocky Mountain Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn. Amazing. It was so delicious! I will definitely try to track this down again. Outside of the flavor, my most favorite thing was that everything in the bag was popcorn! No old maids!
Trader Joe Wasabi Peas. These are quite tasty as well. I’ve never had anything like these before. I looove sushi, so I really liked the flavor, though I can only eat a few at a time because they are POTENT. When Craig tried them his eyes got big, he looked at me and asked “WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME!?” He demanded apple juice and was crabby that I usually make him try things that he ends up hating.
Artisan Coconut Butter. When I first saw this, I thought it was coconut oil. It was really hard in the packaging and I was super excited to try coconut oil because I’ve seen it around. When I opened it to use it as oil, I realized it was butter. I can’t say I was the biggest fan of this. I typically love coconut, but coconut butter will not be added to my must-have list.
Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter. YES. YES. YES. This was amazing. If I’m completely honest, I didn’t put it on anything, I just ate it from the package. And loved every moment of it.
Seasnax – chipole flavored. I think this was the most unusual addition to my package of goodies, but easily one of my favorites. I was hesitant to try it, but they are awesome. Like the package says, “strangely addictive!” They’re super thin slices of flavored seaweed. They aren’t very filling, but that just made it easier to shovel them into my mouth because they tasted so darn good! I’d pick up more of these if I ever ran across them.
Trader Joe’s Milk Chocolate Truffle Bar. I love chocolate. And when I saw the Trader Joe’s chocolate bar I thought for sure it had to be a winner. I was disappointed. I mean, it was okay. But, when I saw the words “truffle” and “Trader Joe’s” I set my expectations pretty high. Truthfully, the chocolate was a little waxy. Don’t give me wrong, I still ate the whole thing, but I know plenty of other chocolate bars that I would choose over this.
Starbucks VIA. I haven’t tried these yet, but if they are anything like the Refreshers at Starbucks, they’ll be a winner. I like coffee, but I don’t love it, so the refreshers were a great treat last summer in Tennessee.
Garlic Pepper organic Ramen. I’m not a Ramen girl. At all. I haven’t tried these yet, but they will be tried one night that Craig is on hand as well. The man eats hot dogs and mac/cheese, I can pretty much promise he will enjoy the Ramen, too!
Trader Joe’s Champagne Vinaigrette. I haven’t gotten around to having any of this. I stuck my finger in to get a taste and it was pretty yummy. Kellie said it’s her most recent addiction and that she puts it on pretty much everything. I thoroughly enjoyed my first taste, so I’m definitely looking forward to more!
WHEW. I told you! Kellie sent quite the spread!! I can honestly say I enjoyed more of the items than I disliked. Truthfully, the only thing I couldn’t really finish was the coconut butter. Otherwise, it was all delicious! Thanks again, Kellie! You made my first experience with Foodie Penpals outstanding.
I’m already signed up to participate again in June. I think next time around I am going to request regional-specific items like Amy did of me. I think it will be super fun to get a taste of the country without leaving the midwest!
And now it’s time for some details about Foodie Penpals (taken from Lindsey at the Lean Green Bean):
– On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
– You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
– The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
– You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
– Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
– Foodie Penplas is open to US, Canadian & European residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. Same with Europeans. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.
If you’re from the US or Canada and are in participating for June, please CLICK HERE to fill out the participation form and read the terms and conditions.
You must submit your information by June 4th as pairings will be emailed on June 5th!
*If you’re from Europe, please CLICK HERE to signup.